Friday, January 9, 2015

Sunset Winter Glow

Sunset Winter Glow
Oil on gallery wrapped canvas, 5x5
sold
Each day, when I am thinking of a painting subject, I first decide what medium I feel like using.  All paints have their specific merits, and it definitely affects the chosen subject matter.  With a gentle sunset theme in mind, I am pushing and pulling the oils with brush and palette knife.  Starting in rather a muted way, I continue to bump up the color as I progress.  I want the feel to be moody, introspective, so I am still keeping the strokes impressionistic and the background soft - which is something the oils do SO well!  Where the watercolors are sharp and clean, and translucent, the oils revel in buttery softness and structure beneath each brushstroke.  This one is painted on gallery wrapped canvas, so that means I have painted the landscape right around the sides!  Painting number 741 in 741 days, and Day 10 of the 30 Day Painting Challenge.

2 comments:

  1. Tammie your paintings are magical in their beauty and light!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful .... Love the soft colouring.

    ReplyDelete