Thursday, January 8, 2015

Winter Snow

Winter Snow
Watercolor on 100% rag paper, 7x5
bid here
This painting is only 7 inches by 5 inches in size.  As I sketched this one out, I strived to capture a lot of information on the small space.  I first used drawing gum as a resist, then came in with most of the color after that was dry.  I did go back in with a second layer to increase the contrast as the watercolors lightened on drying.  After removing the resist, the whites were so stark that I took some soft plum shades to them, warming them up and softening the edges. What shall I work on tomorrow?  Hmmmmm.  This painting makes 740 in 740 days, and Day 9 of the 30 Day Painting Challenge.

8 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous! I remember my high school art teacher always telling us not to make snow white in our paintings. In those days we were using tempera. I think most of us did pale lavender for snow in the shadows and perhaps a pale yellow for the sunlit areas. Your's looks so realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous...a wonderful tribute to winter!! Wonderful contrast!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your painting. Truly winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your paintings are gorgeous, Tammie! Love your style.

    ReplyDelete