Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Back in the Saddle

Back in the Saddle
Oil on panel, 8x10
Another day of coming late to my easel.  I had picked my subject out early, but without time to sketch it in.  Then, one thing after another soaked up the hours, leaving me a 30 minute window - or wait until tonight.  Well, 30 minutes is just enough time for me to really get in the zone, and I can then HARDLY pull myself away from the easel!  With grandchildren to pick up, I just couldn't risk it.  So, it was nearly 9:00 when I started this one (with grandchildren settled into playing a game).  I think that I will declare this month "Figure February"!  I have been wanting to dedicate time to figure work - right down to tiny "carrot" figures in a street scene, and now is my chance.  A funny thing has happened with so many days of painting.  The more I paint, the more critical I am of my own work.  Little things just pop out at me, things I would not have noticed a year ago.  I also paint faster, and I get right to the point with my values and colors.  The values and temperatures are so much easier to see and paint, too.  I can remember when I didn't understand temperature at all.  I guess all good things come with practice!  Painting number 767 in 767 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment