Friday, February 6, 2015

Driving the Oxen

Driving the Oxen
Oil on panel, 12x9
Old Missouri Town - purchase here
Each time I return to Missouri Town is like stepping back in time. Nostalgia reigns on the rural land where old barns, homes, and shops dot the landscape.  On this chilly day, a woman drives her oxen, calling them each by name.  Having pulled out an orange primed panel, I have let bits of that orange pop through here and there. I love getting back to this color after so many days of pale yellow.  I have used loose, impressionistic strokes here, negatively painting in the trees.  I'm trying to find the gentle balance of loosely painting a face with a few strokes, instead of my natural tendency to completely render it - though it is only the size of two peas together!  This is painting number 770 in 770 days.

13 comments:

  1. Oh, this is such an exotic landscape to me! Beautifully painted, I like especially the earthly colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this painting, because it is truly a piece of Americana that is slowly disappearing from our landscape. I have fond memories of visiting my grandmother's ranch in Mexico as a child. I took my daughters to the ranch when they were little, which is now run by one of my uncles. However, most of my cousins have gotten degrees and moved to various urban areas of Mexico. I hope someone keeps that beautiful ranch of my grandmother's alive. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those trees...first thing I noticed was the different strokes... there is a bit of edginess to them. Giving the painting a sense of old times...really good!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your loose impressionistic style and the orange peeking through. This is a very atmospheric painting - wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An amazing piece, Tammie. I am so impressed that you could do the face so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this could be a scene even in old Europe...really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so gentle. I enlarged it and found so many more details. The ground looks as if it is thick with autumn leaves and the bare trees are beautiful against the bright sky.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the warmth of this piece. It has such a great atmosphere, and the face is very expressive, even though it's so small.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful style and mood, especially the texture of paint strokes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the colours, and the feel of this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love the feel of this piece. Beautiful art!

    ReplyDelete