Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Magic Over the Marsh

Magic Over the Marsh
Oil on panel, 12x9
purchase here
Every summer, we go visit my parents near Lake Erie, and I have so many wonderful photos from this beautiful area!  I am using that reference for today, and started with a pastel sketch.  Next, I brushed in the blues of the sky, working from cool to warm at the horizon, and I lay in the water at the same time.  Next, I brushed in the thick, warm whites of the clouds, followed by the plum shadow sides.  The landscape is just a supporting role to the main feature of the sky, so I handle the colors accordingly, being sure to get those sky colors into that landscape for good color harmony. I did not use my palette knife on this - I had so many distractions today, that it is a miracle I was able to finish this at all!  Painting number 787 in as many days.

12 comments:

  1. This is fantastic! The boat you asked about on my blog is the ferry, which takes people and cars and tractors back and forth over the Rhine. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spectacular sky! And such a peaceful marsh scene. It is just lovely. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely scene. The sky looks so bright.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this scene. Beautiful art! Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a really gorgeous scene-love the whole peaceful and soothing feel of it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So lovely view, high sky and bright colours. I would like to see it in nature.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty love the blues and yellow together...calming!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the brush strokes and the colors are so inviting. Amazing record of daily painting. A daily practice can really hone your skills.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clouds are so hard to do. Hadn't thought of using the pastels like that. I love the reflection in the water. . .beautiful painting. Wow, painting daily like that, Great Perseverance. . . amazing in fact. Blessings, Janet PPF

    ReplyDelete