Sunday, February 1, 2015

Returning Home

Returning Home
Oil on wood panel, 10x8
We finally have a bit of snow for today - only a dusting at present, but still a wonderful accompaniment to the winter landscape!  I am painting in the western theme again tonight, I think this one if done.  The barn image was supplied to me by a dear friend, and the horse and rider are from my own reserves.  With a hint of fading light in the sky, lantern light pours out from the barn onto the horse, rider and snowy ground. For this color, I have used yellow earth by Terra Grezze D'Italia oils. I have never liked yellow ochre, and I use this color in place of it always.  It does not have the greenish cast that yellow ochre does.  This particular paint is coarsely ground, and has a wonderful texture - different from all other varieties of paint.  I also have an olive green and a red earth shade - but I seldom use them.  This yellow earth is always on my palette.  I am having so much fun with this western theme - I wonder how many I'll do before I feel the pull to move on to another subject.  This is painting number 764 in 764 days :)

No comments:

Post a Comment