Thursday, February 5, 2015

Two Riders in the Snow

Two Riders in the Snow
Oil on wood panel, 8x10
purchase here
Since "figures" are my theme for February, I decided to bump up the number and include four figures in this painting!  Well, that definitely takes more time!  I have started and stopped this painting several times today - once for family bowling time, along with the countless chores in a day's work.  New on the palette today, Grumbacher green earth and greenish umber.  Their umber is the darkest one I've used, I almost always have to mix in another color to lighten it.  The green earth I used on a whim, not expecting to like it, but it has it's merits in the landscape.  It feels transparent in the way it handles, and these old paints also include some of the toxins the new ones don't.  Which is bad, and means I should only use them outside.  I have used several blues here, Rembrandt's ultramarine blue deep - which I LOVE, ultramarine violet and prussian blue.  I like the way they play together in the snow and pushing the warms and cools in this landscape adds to the energy.  This is painting number 769 in 769 days.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful and different from your usual scenes. I always look forward to seeing what you've done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. I can only imagine what you have learned through your commitment in painting on a daily basis!

    ReplyDelete