Saturday, March 21, 2015

A Dream of Poppies

A Dream of Poppies
Oil on unstretched canvas, 4x6
auction - bid here
What a gorgeous day this has been!  My day has been so full that I could not get out to paint from life - though I have new forsythia starting to bloom, and I can hardly wait to get to it!  My forsythia paintings of last year met an untimely demise when our red lab puppy escaped from his kennel and licked ALL of the cad yellow paint from both surfaces!  I meant to go pack and repair the damage, but I never did get to it.  Perhaps I will fix them this year with fresh inspiration!  Feeling like painting in the red again - I have picked up brush and knife to express the glory of these poppies.  The baby plants are just now up in my flower beds, and I am planning to move some of the starts into new areas.  There bloom time is short, but their papery petals are amazing - and worth all the effort of getting them established.  It took me several different attempts to get these babies to grow and multiply, but now that they are - I am set!  For the loosely stroked highlight edges, I have used a worn and frazzled bristle brush.  Loading with paint, I pull it lightly from edge of petal toward base, lifting up as I progress.  This defines the edge as light would hit it, and gives it a wonderful texture, too. This is painting number 812 in 812 days.

4 comments:

  1. Red is such an energetic colour and I love your vibrant poppies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way you have captured the fragility of the poppies is miraculous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so beautiful, full of fresh life! I spotted the first poppies the other day while out on a walk, I love these bright flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's beautiful how you did the petals. Really love the painterly look!

    ReplyDelete