Friday, March 27, 2015

Cardinal in the Forsythia

Cardinal in the Forsythia
Oil on panel, 7x5
auction - bid here
Feeling a bit under the weather today, I slip back into my comfort zone to paint something cheerful from the yard.  The forsythias are now in full bloom, and their radiance in the sunlight is spectacular.  We have an abundance of cardinals around here, as they nest in the largest rose bush each year.  I brushed in the background first, thinking I would palette knife the other parts into this background.  But, as I worked, I wanted to let the brushstrokes speak for the feathers, and let the knife cut in the branch and foliage. It feels more dimensional this way. This is painting number 818 in 818 days :)

2 comments:

  1. I love your work! I feel so embarrassed when real artists visit my blog art!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first thing I felt is the dimensional feeling of the Forsythia... then I noticed the Cardinal. I like the feeling of the bird nestled amongst the cover of the branches and flowers.

    ReplyDelete