Friday, March 13, 2015

Clouds Over the Farm

Clouds Over the Farm
Oil on panel, 7x5
When I start a painting like this one, I sketch it out first with a pastel stick, even marking the position of the clouds.  In this case, my panel is primed a pale yellow - which is a good color behind the clouds.  I can leave as much of this color showing as I want - which I couldn't do if it was a pumpkin orange.  When I start painting the sky, I do so by negatively painting the clouds.  Laying in all of the background color before the first cloud shade is applied.  I find that my clouds are so much more realistic when painted this way.  Finally, I make sure the color harmonizes between sky and field.  Painting number 804 in 804 days.

5 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful skyscape, Tammie. Thanks for the information on how you did the clouds. Such info is great for us who are learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely clouds, thanks for sharing your method.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The detail in this painting is incredible, especially when the small canvas size is taken into consideration. I also love your use of bold strokes which makes for very lively clouds. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely depth in the sky, especially, as Arnoldo says, when you are using a smal canvas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great suggestion about priming the canvas. And what a great painting. Makes me want to be there right now, enjoying some beautiful and warm weather. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete