Saturday, March 28, 2015

In the Magnolia

In the Magnolia
Oil on panel, 5x7
auction - bid here
I simply LOVE magnolias.  Big, showy blooms, dramatic color in the landscape, and what a fabulous painting subject!  My children bought this magnolia tree for me one year for Mother's Day, and is just starting to bloom.  It is a slow grower, so it is only a little taller than I am, but each year it gets bigger and fuller.  I don't remember ever painting these blooms before.  It seems like it comes into full bloom when plein air painting is kicking into high gear, and I have missed the opportunity the last couple of years.  I will be taking full advantage this year!  I hope to paint some larger pieces while they are still in their glory.  I primed some panels yesterday and the day before, and I mixed up rather a bright color of orange yellow for the wash.  Its a little wild, but I thought I'd just try it out.  It worked out fine, and added a warm undertone to all the colors.  I painted in the lightest lights and then the darkest darks, and blocked in all the rest from there with a large bristle brush.  I did use a smaller flat on the chickadee.  Most of my brushes are flats, until I scrub them into filberts - and I like a stiffer brush to really move that thick paint around. Since I don't use mediums, I truly need a strong brush.  I always use my palette knife on branches, pulling the paint one way or the other to follow the natural shape.  This painting makes number 819 in 819 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment