Monday, March 9, 2015

Palette Knife Poppies

Palette Knife Poppies
Oil on panel, 5x7
original sold - print available here
Surprise!  Today I am getting crazy with the palette knife!  Mondays are always busy for me!  After starting the day at the gym, I then teach a morning porcelain class and an afternoon painting class.  Then comes my very small painting window, just before rushing off to pick Michael up from baseball practice.  Right after that, we have a meeting at the high school for baseball - fund-raising, I think.  SO, coming quickly to my easel, I select a small substrate - only 5x7 inches.  I quickly block in the masses with rather thick paint, and start defining the planes with my palette knife - yes, my plastic one.  Of all the wonderful metal knives I have, I still like the pliable nature of the plastic, and I prefer it.  I know it sounds crazy, but it is one of those little preferences that does not seem to change.  New on the palette today - Gamblin's Radiant Yellow.  What I like most about this color is how opaque it is!  It will truly sit right on top of a petal for that pop of color.  This is painting number 800 in 800 days!!  Hooray!  I will have to have a nice glass of wine - when I return from the baseball meeting!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE these! Both your pallette and the composition... and those flowers seem to pop right off the canvas:-)

    ReplyDelete