Thursday, March 5, 2015

Snow at the Stream

Snow at the Stream
Oil on wood panel, 6x8
Last weekend, we had such a beautiful blanket of snow on the ground!  This stream is very close, and I have taken many photos of it in all kinds of weather.  It is ever changing!  The skies were very thick with clouds, creating a wonderfully dark, moody atmosphere, with just the hint of morning in the background.  Do you remember the thin titanium Liquitex paint that I recently squirted out on my palette - and did not like at all?  Well, this painting was he perfect application for this paint.  Still on my palette, I found it so pliable with my brush for the chunky foreground.  With it's thin texture, it did not even try to pick up any of the paint already applied.  Ultramarine violet and burnt umber toned my Gamblin greys - which I used heavily in this landscape.  That white was so easily moved around with the palette knife, it was the only one I used int he finish work - although my thicker ones were used for blocking in the masses where I needed the paint to behave as it should.  My favorite white?  Winsor Newton's artist color titanium white.  I love the pigment in this one white better than all others I have tried - and it is time for me to order some more!  My number two pick?  Probably Utrecht's titanium white.  This is painting number 796 in 796 days.  Looks like we are headed for warm, sunny days, so these winter landscape opportunities may be coming to an end.

8 comments:

  1. You make the snow look so delicate and beautiful. And that is saying a lot since I up living in the northeast where we have been dumped on this winter. Have a fantastic weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This painting has a beautiful dark mood of winter to it!! Well done!! Always amazes me how you capture the light or cloud to a landscape!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  3. another beautiful wintry scene, but I am so looking forward to springtime colors and scenes-especially here in PA:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful landscape. I love the mirror shine on the water ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is just a joy every single time I come and visit you here... the painterly application of paint, the confident, loose lines, and the all round mad skills make me sigh with pleasure each and every time

    ReplyDelete