Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Old Barn on Church Road

Old Barn on Church Road
Oil on unstretched canvas, 6x4
4/100 The {100} Artists
purchase here

Every year that I have been plein air painting in Augusta, Missouri, I drive by this barn - longing to paint it.  We always have other commitments - with several paint-outs every day, it is hard to just pull off the road to squeeze in another one.  I have some really wonderful photos to work from, and that is what I've done today for The {100} Artsists challenge.  The in progress shot is a little fuzzy, but it demonstrates the block in.  I have not bothered to tint any of these miniature canvas pieces, so I have left the whites for highlight areas, and marked the darks, At this point, I probably had 20 minutes in the painting.  Once the surface was covered, I then push to cool and warm, until a nice harmony is achieved.  I'm still using my full size palette knife, but I am learning to stay on the tip for these 6x4 inch landscapes!  Then, my little inner voice tells me to put down my knife, and I always listen.  This is painting number 829 in 829 days :)

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful painting, I can understand why you wanted to capture this barn. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Makes me wish I was right there. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous painting! This looks like such a peaceful and beautiful place to connect with nature. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful painting!! I would love to be in that picture right now. It looks so peaceful and pretty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the beautiful blend of color and the feeling your paintings always evoke... It's like taking a drive through the country!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure I've said this before, but I love your paintings, Tammie. Wouldn't that barn make a great art studio? I can imagine setting up an easel right under that roof. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much detail on such a small canvas ..... Amazing how you do that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love old barns. Soon they may all be gone. I'm glad you have painted this one. Very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete