Tuesday, April 14, 2015

South Side of Church Road Barn

South Side of Church Road Barn
oil on unstretched canvas, 6x4
7/100 - The {100} Artists

I had to walk up into tall grass to get the reference shot for this barn. Nice from the road, it was amazing from this angle - and I knew I would paint it someday. The somewhat blurry "in progress" pic shows how I started marking my darks, noting the violets (ultramarine violet) where they were present.  Once I had blocked in all the color masses, I then made sure to bounce the color around - reflections of sky color on the ground, sunlit highlights both in trees and grass, and that peachy brush color found on the ground also showed up a bit in the trees.  This was not really a path in the grass, but old dead grass where a tractor had driven over it - making the perfect "lead in" for the eye.  I'm getting used to this large palette knife for such a small substrate - but I will still check out the knives at Creative Cold Snow tomorrow (our local art store).  Painting number 836 in 836 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment