Sunday, May 17, 2015

Midnight Magnolia

Midnight Magnolia
Oil on unstretched canvas, 4x4
bid here
The blooms on my magnolia tree are larger and more beautiful than they have ever been!  It took years for this tree to grow large enough to really start producing, but wow - what a show!  Still a small tree, I look forward to all the years ahead and the glory it will bring to the yard!  I simply love all of the spring blooming trees - they are such a welcome sight after the cold days of winter.  I started this painting in the usual way - pastel sketch first, followed by blocking in color.  I blocked in the background last, which is just the opposite of the first magnolia I painted, where I did the background first.  Thereby, I negatively painted the blooms.  Sometimes, I just want to change things up, especially when I paint every day.  It allows me the freedom to follow my whims, because if it doesn't work out, its okay, there is always tomorrow! Painting number 869 in 869 days :)
in progress

No comments:

Post a Comment