Friday, May 8, 2015

Old Barn on St. Charles Street

Old Barn on St. Charles Street
Oil on wood panel, 9x12
New Melle, Augusta Plein Air Art Event
purchase here
My second painting of the Day at New Melle, this wonderful old barn was right across the street from our morning paint.  Teddy, Paige and I had already painted the barns at the pond, and this barn now had fabulous afternoon light shining on it!  With only about an hour to spare, I sketched this out quickly and started slapping that paint on just as fast!  I really painted this one without thinking, just letting the brush and colors find their own way on the wood surface.  I'm SO thankful to have my own primed birch panels to paint on for this event!  Every artist has their favorite substrates - and this is definitely mine!  I can and do paint on other surfaces, but the paint just seems to glide over wood in a way it never could over a woven surface.  The strokes are rather loose - largely because this was such a fast piece, and it also has the fresh look of a specific moment in time.  No time for the light to change and the shadows to shift here!  Painting number 860 in as many days.
on location

2 comments: