Saturday, May 9, 2015

Ruffled White and Lavender Iris

Ruffled White and Lavender Iris
Oil on wood panel, 5x7
purchase here
What a busy day this has been!  After the gym and teaching an oil painting class, I headed out for some yard work.  My - how the weeds have popped up while I was away!  My parents arrive Tuesday for Michaela's high school graduation, so I have been busy trying to get everything in order.  This beautiful iris has just bloomed - and many more are ready to open.  This is one of the starts I was given from an artist friend, Myrtie Gourley, years ago.  I love how so many of my flowers remind me of the friends who shared them with me.  Quite a few have been given to me by those who are no longer with us, and what a joy it is to see them open and bloom each season!  I have completely painted this with my new brushes, not even taking out my palette knife.  I may use my knife in a few days, when the many others bloom.  Perhaps I will go for a looser interpretation then.  I am having fun in the exploration of the iris petals, with their many ruffles and papery texture.  Each day, there  is something new to inspire me.  I simply love this time of year!  Painting number 861 in 861 days.

7 comments:

  1. lovely iris ... i only had a couple pop up this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful painting and it is truly a lovely time of year! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning Tammie...such pretty work and so soft with the brushes!! Feel I could reach into the page and picks them....careful...I just might! lol

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  4. really gorgeous Tammie-you have captured the delicateness of this flower so perfectly!

    ReplyDelete