Friday, June 19, 2015

Hollyhock Garden

Hollyhock Garden
Pastel over watercolor on paper, 7x10
We had a wonderful workshop today hosted by our Tri-County Art League.  Cathy Kline shared her technique of pastels over watercolor.  I used 140lb cold pressed watercolor block, and first marked out the whites with a white crayon - for sparkle later.  Next, I used the drawing gun as a resist, applying this with a plastic palette knife.  I started with my darks, then worked into the various colors of the garden with my watercolors.  Most of these were painted in transparent colors.  Once dry, I removed the drawing gum and painted the highlights in.  After this was dry, I popped in a little pastel color - dry, right over the top.  It gives a wonderful dimension to the painting, especially because it visually sits on top.  This was so fun playing with my mediums in a different way!  I think I'll be taking these with me out of town - fast, compact, and fun!  I do love to experiment!  Painting number 901 in 901 days :)
at the workshop...

No comments:

Post a Comment