Thursday, June 11, 2015

Night on Main Street

Night on Main Street
Oil on wood panel, 9x12
The nocturne paint out in Washington, Missouri was one to remember!  It had been a long day beginning with a 10:00 paint out at Montelle Winery which ended at 3:30.  Rain had started down in sheets shortly after noon, and had me ducking for cover with my easel.  The next paint out on the schedule was the sunset paint in Washington.  I have been wanting to work on my street scenes and buildings, so I chose to stay in town instead of going down to the river.  It was only lightly raining, but I set up under an awning on Main Street, where only the blowing wind would carry the rain to me.  I believe the turn in time was 8:00.  Then, right back to the street to choose a wonderful nocturne scene.  By this time, those wet winds had turned cold.  Several of us packed in tightly under the cover of a wide doorway, and started our paintings.  It was fun to capture the light before me by the lamplight streaming from the shop windows behind me.  Half way through, my main light source switched off - leaving me to guess as to the hues I was applying.  Painting on the streets of an historic district at night is like an erie step back in time.  This was the latest turn in time ever - midnight!  I wish I would have remembered to take location shots for this one and the sunset paint, but I did not.  I think I finally got to bed by 1:45.  Thank goodness we didn't have to show up to the next paint out until 11:00 the next day!  Painting number 893 in 893 days.  Just another crazy day in the life of an artist :)

No comments:

Post a Comment