Wednesday, June 3, 2015

The Poetry of Poppies

The Poetry of Poppies
Acrylic over molding paste on wood panel, 14x11
Overland Park Arboretum - Stems - purchase here
I have struggled a bit with these poppies by the lake.  I've had them sitting on an easel - trying to decide if they were finished -or not!  The sketch was easy, the application of acrylic molding paste went smoothly, but then I am faced with just how to layer on the acrylics.  I am now so accustomed to my oils, that returning to the acrylics is daunting!  So, I begin slowly - glazing in the layers, beginning with the darks.  As I work, it becomes more fun, and eventually I am no longer thinking about the method - only about the color. These beauties were near the lake, but I was tempted to darken the background.......yet, I restrain myself!  Painting number 886 in 886 days.
in progress - it is here that I see how nicely a dark background would work.......

No comments:

Post a Comment