Monday, June 8, 2015

Sculpted Peonies in Pink

Sculpted Peonies in Pink
Acrylic over molding paste on wood panel, 14x11
Overland Park Arboretum - Stems
sold

Each day is an experiment when painting.  When using this method, I first sketch out my composition with a pastel stick.  Next, I am working at sculpting the petals more accurately with my palette knife.  The use of the knife definitely becomes easier with use, I rarely have to think about the strokes necessary anymore.  Following this, the paste must dry before the next layer - which takes so long with this wet, rainy weather!  I bet it has taken twice as long to dry as normal!  I paint in with acrylics, unsure of whether or not to proceed with oils.  I have decided to leave it as is.........and I really like something about the white paste on the toned background, too.  I may do one of these in only two tones........there is something timeless about it, almost "cameo" like.  This painting makes 891 in 891 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment