Thursday, July 2, 2015

Dragonflies and Bamboo

Dragonflies and Bamboo
Chinese brush painting on paper, 12x18
Today I am totally out of my box with Chinese brush painting and sumi ink!  Our guest instructor for the Tri-County Art League meeting was Valda Hsu, and she had a wonderful demo!  I have taken one other workshop in this technique - years ago, but she her method was more descriptive - and I was able to absorb so much more this time.  I came home with pages of strokes and flowers, bamboo, butterflies and dragonflies, fireworks and leaves.  Using single strokes to make each mark, the way one composes these marks - makes the painting.  This was very informative - and so fun to soak up another culture with this ancient painting style!  Painting number 914 in 914 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment