Sunday, July 5, 2015

Grazing in the Rhine Valley

Grazing in the Rhine Valley
Oil on wood panel, 12x9 - purchase here

Quite a while ago, one of my European artist friends - Valerie Jael - posted the most amazing photo of these horses grazing along the Rhine.  I knew I had to paint it - and she graciously gave me permission.  I love the composition - and the timeless pastoral mood that exudes peace and tranquility.  Painted mostly with my brush, I have only used the palette knife for a little pop here and there.  Once I get my sky the way I want it, I then make sure those clouds are full of soft and hard edges.  The best tool for softening the edges?  My finger - gently pulled away from the center of the cloud, massaging that paint in the way I feel it should be.  And the giant tree in mid ground - it truly is that size in comparison with those horses. It must be ancient!  This painting makes 917 in 917 days....I think I will paint this one much larger in the future :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment