Thursday, October 8, 2015

Old Dirt Road

Old Dirt Road
Oil on masonite, 9x12
purchase here
I love coming over the top of a hill to see this magnificent view spreading out before me!  And to think, we almost didn't drive down this because it was a dirt road!  Taking 200n east off of Burnt Prairie blacktop, we parked on the side of the road to unload our gear.  I set my easel up in the middle of this road, and was able to get my whole sketch and half a block in done before the first truck came barreling down the road!  I moved back out after he had passed, only to have to shift again.  By that time, I had enough done to finish a bit closer to the ditch, setting up our new bright orange cones - a gift from the planners of this event!  With so much depth in this painting, I was more careful in the application of paint, letting each layer build before moving to the next.  I have wanted to paint a road for a long time, but really didn't want to capture asphalt.....so this wonderful dirt road was the perfect solution!  What sheer joy it has been to paint in perfect weather, and to find such captivating subject matter!  And the icing on the cake?  I won a fabulous $150 gift certificate in the door prize drawing tonight!  COuld life be any sweeter?  This painting makes 1010 in 1010 days :)

No comments:

Post a Comment