Thursday, November 5, 2015

Alastair - value study

Alastair - value study
Acrylic on masonite, 5x5
This is my second value study on this month's atelier on portraiture. I am working from a photo that I took with indoor lighting and a flash - which does not produce wonderful lights and shadows for painting.  But, I love the expression, and am going to find a way to make it work....push the values a little.  Originally, the background was light, but I found it competing with the subject, so I painted it dark.  The focus is now on Alastair.  I have used some really loose brushwork here, but I like the effect!  As with all of these studies, they must be completed in 40 minutes, all in black and white - from which I mix the grays I need. My sta-wet palette is indeed keeping my acrylics wet, and I have not added water since the very beginning.  I am still waiting for my special brushes to come in, but I am making do with what I have on hand.  This painting makes 1038 in 1038 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment