Monday, November 23, 2015

The White Bow

The White Bow
Acrylic on masonite, 6x6
sold
This little darling was my demo for this afternoon's painting class!  The granddaughter of one of my friends (and a student - though she was not in class today), her photo was on my desktop.   I used her to demonstrate how to lay in the values in black and white while using a color photo.  The emphasis is on using short, impressionistic strokes to define all the planes of the face, all the time getting those values correct.  As I work loosely, a likeness naturally develops. Once I feel her likeness captured - I step away from the brushes!  I want her to be fresh and lively, with plenty of those lush, impressionistic strokes visible. The more I paint these portraits - the more I love doing them! Painting number 1056 in 1056 days :)

No comments:

Post a Comment