Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Nutcrackers Three

Nutcrackers Three
Acrylic on masonite, 4x6
purchase here
Yesterday's subject literally jumped out at me as I was unpacking nutcrackers to put in my youngest son's room.  After having so much fun painting them yesterday, they are my "go to" subject for tonight!  I started this composition out by painting the dark background negatively around the figures, cutting in each dark spot until their forms emerged.  I have not sketched out a single painting since I took that portrait class - and I like the easy flow of it!  It is as if I can switch things around freely, because I have not already committed by putting down the lines.  So, I guess you could say I am living outside the lines now, and the possibilities are endless!  Can you believe I am still using that limited palette?  All of these bold colors came from just yellow oxide, cad red light and medium, red oxide, alizarin crimson, indanthrene blue, and white and mars black.  I find the palette very natural, and the color harmony is easy when so few colors are used.  I did think I would want to reach for a cad yellow on this one, but I found I could make the yellow oxide work with a little white for that pop in highlights.  I am going to have to find more nutcrackers, I hear them calling my name!  Painting number 1072 in 1072 days, and Christmas draws closer every day!  Yikes!

12 comments:

  1. Love your nutcrackers and congrats on being featured at PPF this week - happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful art piece. Love the bright, beautiful colours.
    Happy PPF xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. luv these nutcrackers 3

    happy PPF

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are just amazing. My Nan, who was an "fine" artist always told me to work with a limited pallet. That I could get any color I wanted with just 5 colors of paint. She was a master at mixing. I think you are as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on being featured!
    "...living outside the lines..." that's great! I wish I could do that all the time!
    Limited palette also has worked wonders here! Lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great, your work is always awesome and full of Christmas spirit lately, super to see you featured this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooh, your nutcrackers are awesome Tammie!!! And congrats on your featured Santa painting at PPF this week too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not normally a big fan of nutcrackers...but yours are fabulous!!As are all your Christmas paintings!! Love them ALL!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are an inspiration! Love this painting and your limited palate and also your dedication to painting each day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful! I adore this painting. SO beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love them!!! Still hopping around from PPF! Great post. Rasz

    ReplyDelete