Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Charlie Cat

Charlie Cat
Acrylic on masonite, 6x6

After two frustrating attempts at paintings, one a cloudscape and one a large, rainy evening scene, I am turning to something familiar - Charlie!  It is rare that I start a landscape - and dislike the progress. I will look at them both tomorrow, and see what needs to be done, but as for tonight - I just didn’t feel like working on them!  But this painting, I LOVE!  I love his expression, and the languid way he rests like royalty!  I am experimenting with a new tool tonight - the Princeton Catalyst.  It is a flexible, silicone like, thick palette knife head on a long brush handle - and it is awesome!  Not only can I pull it across the surface for normal palette knife marks, but it retains paint and allows me to “paint” with it, leaving textural marks (like the hair).  I bought two of these, and have only used the chisel edged one so far, and I am impressed!  Can’t wait to see what else this tool can do!  Painting number 1128 in 1128 days.

13 comments:

  1. What do you mean -'he rests like royalty'?? He IS royalty, that is evident at a glance. Fantastic painting of your gorgeous Charlie. Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!!! He is a king!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That fur invites petting, royalty or not. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning Tammie! You can paint anything..wow. He is handsome for sure!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely cat--I have cats on mine this week too. Your cat is elegant and serene--so nice. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. His fur is so inviting looking, I can feel the softness with my finger tips! A great portrait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Charlie looks wonderful. I too am impressed at how you achieved the fur.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Charlie is magnificent! I enjoyed the colours and fur!
    I like how you didn't give up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous Charlie. He does look like a king!

    Thanks for visiting my blog and for the lovely comment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful portrait of a beautiful cat. Nice rendering of the fur and I liked reading about the technique with the catalyst!

    ReplyDelete