Sunday, February 21, 2016

John

John
Oil on masonite, 6x6

Lately, I have been longing to paint portraits with my new catalysts, using strong contrast.  After pouring over photos to familiarize myself with the planes of John Lennon’s face, I then started laying paint.  I did use my brush to mark out the values, and then came in with the catalyst to drop in heavy strokes of paint.  The effect is rich and thick, and very expressive.  These catalysts have shapes similar to palette knives, with one big difference - they are crafted of flexible silicone.  They scrape off paint better than any other tool, and lay down strokes like a palette knife.  I really love the drama of the strong black and white - and I’ve tinted the brightest highlights with just a touch of naples yellow, to warm up the temperature.  SO FUN!  I want to jump right into a series in this theme!  Who knows where tomorrow will take me?  Painting number 1145 in 1145 days.

2 comments:

  1. He was one of my hero's back in the day. You have captured him perfectly. Great artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly don't need any introduction here Tammie, in fact all of your portraits are so life-like.
    You are so talented and inspiring ;D

    ReplyDelete