Saturday, March 12, 2016

Adjusting the Reins

Adjusting the Reigns
Acrylic on masonite, 7x5

I didn’t realize what a challenge this composition was until I started the block in.  With this method of acrylic figure painting, there is no sketching first, only a laying in of masses.  I began with the background mass first, allowing the horse and rider to emerge as the background tightened in around the forms.  As you can see from my block in image, the man was out of proportion.  So, I adjusted him as necessary to align him with his horse.  With these small figures, I continue to wonder how much face definition is the right amount?  When I look at my reference photo, there is very little detail, only shifts in value, so this is what I paint.  I am letting my right brain take over, and ignore my left brain telling me there are eyes, eyelashes, eyebrows, etc, in this teeny tiny mass.  When I can’t see them, they shouldn’t be painted.   I really love the light in this landscape, and want to do it justice!  This is my 1165th painting in as many days, and another from my civil war reenactment photos.
initial block in - proportions are off....

No comments:

Post a Comment