Thursday, March 17, 2016

Blue Umbrella Cafe

Blue Umbrella Cafe
Acrylic on masonite, 6x6

Oh my gosh!  This was such a challenge!  I think cafe scenes with people, chairs and umbrellas are SO HARD to paint successfully, and I really want to master this - so it is my subject du jour!  I started with my block in, and I had to keep correcting shapes and angles all through the process.  I had trouble seeing each plane as it really was.  With such a complicated composition, my left brain kept feeding me all of this linear information, which was completely wrecking my “painting all the masses” method.  I am not yet happy with this, but I have to start somewhere.  I will look at it again tomorrow.  I already think I need to pop all the lights, and loosen some of the edges on the main umbrella.  I think I’m going to need to paint a month’s worth of cafe scenes before I get them right.....and I’m already dreading the work.  Oh why didn’t I draw butterflies in pen and ink today?  I should have listened to my inner voice!  Grueling painting number 1170 in 1170 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment