Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Pumpkin Boy

Pumpkin Boy
Acrylic on masonite, 5x7

I saw this little darling at the plein air event during Buffalo Bill Days in Leavenworth.  He was holding an orange balloon, but the pumpkin was more in keeping with his period clothes.  This figure was easier to paint than yesterday’s.  I tried to keep the first colors of the block in - which was something I lost from block in to finish on “Fishing”.  I also used my Princeton Catalysts for some of the palette knife strokes in the loose landscape work.  They work well for acrylics, even though I prefer the thick, juicy marks they leave in oil!  It is hard to know just how loose to leave the features of the figure, this is only a 5x7, but I want him to clearly read as a young boy.  I hope these figures will be effortless by month’s end, and I’ll be able to quickly drop them in to my plein air work this season!  Painting number 1161 in 1161 days.
color block in

No comments:

Post a Comment