Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Illusions of Allium

I first came to this spot when I arrived.  Unsure about the composition, I walked all around the lake in search of perfect subject matter.  I found myself back in front of the allium.  This garden is known for these big, beautiful purple blooms, and they called me in.  Sketching first, I started laying in the blooms and the darks.  I rarely paint a garden scene from the distance.  Either I take in the whole view,  or I get up close and personal,  but not this "in between".  So, feeling rather unnatural,  I forged ahead with brush and paint and loose strokes.  Is it too loose?  Maybe....but I like the flow of it.  This painting makes 1240 in 1240 days.
Illusions of Allium
Oil on panel, 14x11
Overland Park Arboretum
sold

No comments:

Post a Comment