Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Winding Lavender Rows

While on location in Washington Island, I only had time for a quick sketch of these winding rows.  This would have been my third painting on site, had time allowed.  It has been floating around inside my head ever since, waiting for the opportunity to jump out onto the panel!  Today was the day!  Not having my panels yet tinted, I painted on the white of the gesso - which I never do when painting in oil!  I miss the complimentary color underneath for my strokes to lay upon, and found the colors coming off a little too  "clean". I must rely on that underpainting when mixing my color!  Who knew?  It's amazing what I learn from switching things up in my painting routine.  I guess I'll be tinting my panels before the fall flury of plein air begins!  Painting number 1702 in 1702 days.
oil on panel, 16x12
purchase here

No comments:

Post a Comment