Sunday, October 29, 2017

Sunset Fishing from the Boat

We've had some amazing sunsets recently - and they can be a challenge to capture as quickly as they fade!  I tried something different for this one.  I first painted in my darks with a dark violet shade of acrylic, before the sunset really started. I knew my composition and that all would be in silhouette in comparison with the sunset color.  Allowing it to dry, I could then slap that color down without having to worry about mudding up either value.  It really was so much easier!  I could then come in with my oils over the darks, without having to fill the whole mass, because the acrylic base is a good color to work from.  I think I may have stumbled onto something!  I'll need to do this a few more times to see if this is something I will stick with!  Painting number 1754 in 1754 days.
oil on panel, 10x8
purchase here

2 comments: