Friday, February 2, 2018

Shades of Winter

Today I tried a new tone for the underpainting of my landscape.  I washed a cool blue (with shades of blue violet) over the gesso prior to taking it outside.  There are so many  warn browns in the landscape now, I wanted to add a little contrast below the paint, both in hue and temperature.  You can see little bits of it popping through - especially at the edges.  I pushed that color with added paint when dotting it around the landscape.  I like the energy!  Switching up a detail like this really allows me to stretch, pushing me to see things with fresh eyes.  It's ALWAYS a good thing to get out of one's box!  Painting number 1839 in 1839 days.

10 comments:

  1. Love it! Your work is breathtaking and congratulations on the 1839 painting in 1839 days!!! OMG!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this painting! Who would think blue would work as an undertone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect! I like the undertone...it definitely kept the piece from being too warm...and the values are right on. Very nice piece Tammie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. its beautiful and very much resembles our February landscape!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous painting with this blue undertone!
    Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning landscape. Love your cool blue feel of it all. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my goodness! This is like a painting done by the masters... I adore your artwork--it fills my eyes to the brim.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tammie. This is gorgeous.I love how you used the blue.

    ReplyDelete