Saturday, May 12, 2018

Penn Valley Park Morning

This peaceful, tranquil painting was like birthing a baby to finally turn it in for judging!  Day one of painting was serene and still, and I used my acrylics for the underpainting.  Day two was windy and sprinkling, and I found myself holding the panel as I painted in oils.  What should have been a breeze to complete took longer than expected, and actually encroached into my quick paint time.  Family arrives in town, we celebrate the graduation of our youngest, and I get a call from another artist about the drop off time for our large pieces.  OMG, I completely forgot about the early time and my painting is as I left it two days ago.  No problem, I'll just do all my paperwork, pop it in the frame and get it downtown in the 3 hour window.  I sprayed it with a quick dry medium, which I forgot in the field, and tried to set it in the frame.  It wouldn't go.  I measure the panel and measure the frame.  The frame is 1/32 of an inch too tight!  No!  After trying to shave the edge with a chisel (to no avail), I gave up and sawed that edge off on the table saw!  Ever try to saw a wet painting?  I tried to shield the still wet paint with cardboard while cutting.  After blowing off the sawdust and touching up a chip, finally this baby was framed.  One just never knows what extreme measures must be taken at the eleventh hour.  What a relief to turn this painting in on time!  Painting number 1936 in 1936 days.
Showing at Buttonwood Art Space
oil on panel, 24x36

No comments:

Post a Comment