Thursday, January 30, 2020

Hackberry in the Snow

Painting in this snowy landscape in rural Missouri is surreal.  It is always very quiet, as if the snow absorbs what little sound there is.  The wildlife is still, aside from a few birds flitting in the trees.  I am often so still while painting that squirrels will come quite close.  The sun popped through a bit, but the warming temps are melting the snow far too fast.  If only it would last a little longer.  Oils were made for painting snow - I especially had fun with my palette knife.  I sure can't use that knife with my inks or watercolors!!  Painting number 2589 in 2589 days.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, another stunning painting. Such depth and atmosphere in this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this one, especially since you used your palette knife. Although I feel less restricted using mine, I keep trying without good results. I have finally decided it only works for me if I’m painting a particular subject (definitely not trees! ;). Enlarging your painting reveals where it worked for you. That has helped me learn. Perhaps more snow will arrive. It’s beautiful, especially the touch of a blue palette. I think your supposition that snow absorbs sound is correct. Wishing you more quiet painting sessions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantatsic piece Tammie! Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely scene Tammie. Have a good weekend

    Much🎨love

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful Tammie. I know what you mean about the tranquility of snow. When I'm in the woods with the dogs, sometimes I just stop, ask them to sit and ask them what they "hear"...they all just listen and we can hear only the beauty of the silent snow and winter with the odd critter...it's so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yesssss, more winter trees. I just love them.

    ReplyDelete