Friday, January 10, 2020

Orchid Phalaenopsis

purchase here
I absolutely adore the miniature orchid phalaenopsis that I picked up while painting at Family Tree Nursery!  My first miniature, the very abundant blooms beg to be painted!  Their unusual striping and petal formation makes them a challenge to draw and paint!  Jumping in with both feet, I start with the ink.  I can't help but wonder if the color would be better expressed in oils. I drop in watercolor, leaving my whites, and push the ink again at the finish.  Certainly challenging!  I think I need more orchid practice to be comfortable with their exotic form!  Painting number 2571 in 2571 days. 

1 comment:

  1. Your orchid is beautiful! Mine has only two flowers but they've been very tough :) - blooming months...Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete