Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Dubuque Clock Tower


I pre-sketch almost every painting or metal piece in the field before I start in the destined medium.  Sometimes, I get so busy that I tuck those sketches away in bags and pochades, to be found much later when I run across the forgotten drawings.  I guess that is one of the hazards of daily painting!  The sketch above was actually my way of being sure of my composition before starting it in copper.  I needed to make sure it worked, because once I start on the metal it can be very hard to make a correction.  When asked by a patron for any Dubuque pieces I might have left, I searched and found this one of the iconic Clock Tower downtown.  Such a lovely place!  Painting number 2603 in 2603 days.

3 comments:

  1. Perfect perspective, not easy to achieve depth like this especially if it’s small. I don’t know what you mean exactly by doing this in copper, will be watching.

    ReplyDelete