Sunday, January 31, 2021

Hackberry


Oh my! What a bitter north wind for today's pen and ink drawing!  Keeping my back to the wind, I was somewhat protected as I sketched.  Starting with ink, I thought several times of adding watercolor.  Still unsure at the end, I decided to do another with ink and watercolor.  I love the nostalgia of ink alone, especially for such an ancient tree as it lends a timelessness to the scene.  Using my favorite TWSBI Diamond mini fountain pen loaded with Levenger's Raven Black ink, I draw the sketchy lines that fill out the composition. Using a water brush pen, I coax those mid-tones to life, and add a few more touches of ink at the end. My working hand is very cold and my fingertips are stinging by the time I finish - I should have worn my fingerless glove with a hand warmer inside!  Painting number 2945 in 2945 days and day 31 of the #stradaeasel challenge!  Hooray! 
 

2 comments:

  1. This is very nice. I need to work with ink more. I am not that comfortable with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Sketching daily with ink is the quickest way to gain confidence!

    ReplyDelete