Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Into the Woods


What fun to embrace a new painting challenge - Nature on Nature - for the Steelville Plein Air event!  Choosing a sheet of birch bark from many other items, I took mine into the woods surrounding Wildwood Springs Lodge to paint.  The bark had several rough openings and a grain that ran throughout, so I tried to line up those trees to use those scars to best advantage.  It was so fun!  I gessoed the top with clear gesso before beginning, then painted with rather thick paint - because that bark was absorbent!  It did curl up on me in my hot car the next two days so I had to weigh it down with rocks in the sun back at my cottage!  Who knew this would be such an adventure?  I would do it again in a heartbeat!  I brought this one home from the gallery.  It's such a unique piece, I think I'll keep this one!  Painting number 3090 in 3090 days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment