Saturday, September 4, 2021

Big Thompson River towards Hallett Peak


This morning we drove into the Rocky Mountain National Park along Bear Lake Rd, to see where a trail led us the day before.  Mike wanted to check out his childhood camping sites, which was very close to the trail of the previous day.  It was so fun hiking this more pristine and less traveled trail!  No busses, no lines, no parking since we left from our lodge and walked in - and still a few hikers on the trail.  We crossed Glacier Creek and landed here on the Big Thompson River  - a gorgeous place to paint!  Mike hiked on a bit within earshot of me as I painted, to return to work a crossword puzzle until I finished.  A couple of new friends from last night's wedding actually passed me in this remote place - coming back to visit when they saw Mike on the trail!  I see paintings everywhere I look, and I've only been able to paint a few.  I wish I had so much more time here!  I am using my oils today, hiking in with just this pochade and tripod over my shoulder.  I think if I'm to hike miles to my spot, it might be wise to bring a lighter tripod.  This one was Dad's, and it is heavy duty indeed.  Great in a strong wind, but also heavy for a long haul. Next time, I think I'll throw in a second, lighter tripod.  Painting number 3153 in 3153 days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment